Hi Brent,

On Sat, 27 Jan 2001, Brent Crighton wrote:

> upgraded 4.1.3 to 4.1.4
>
> install auto created a lilo.conf entry for e-smith-up
> but default remained e-smith

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your shorthand.

- what is "install auto"?
- what is "entry for e-smith-up"? Ah, I have a guess, that is "esmith-up",
  not "e-smith-up", and that is put there by the RedHat installer as a
  fallback. The "up" would stand for uni-processor.

> default (e-smith) caused kernel panic
> e-smith-up worked fine

That sounds like an incompatibility between the RedHat7 SMP kernel and
your hardware.

> had to manually reconfig lilo.conf to boot the new kernel ( this may be due
> to the e-smith kernel being smp, and the upgrade kernel was not )

Can you give more details please? Lilo should have been configured already
to boot the new kernel, in fact, either of two new kernels, smp and
uniprocessor. I have a guess: you have confused "up" as upgrade, rather
than uniprocessor, and you have now configured the default kernel to be
uniprocessor rather than smp (which should, but doesn't work on your
hardware). Am I right?

> this may be a bug by design?? and if so sorry

"a bug by design"? What do you think we are trying to do to you? :-)

If my guesses are right, you have hardware which is either faulty, or
triggers a bug in the SMP kernel provided by RedHat7, which we are using.

  http://www.e-smith.org (development)  http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)
  Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739
  e-smith, inc. 1500-150 Metcalfe St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1P1 Canada