----- Original Message -----
From: "Darrell May" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2001 12:08 AM
Subject: RE: [e-smith-devinfo] mysql admin password

> > get to your command line by doing the "alt-F2" and login as root.
> > kill mysqld and start it as /usr/bin/safe_mysqld --skip-grant-tables
> > type mysql you get the mysql prompt "mysql>" type in
>
> Just a note, followed the instructions but receive the following error:
>
> [root@e-smith bin]# mysql
> ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111)

means the mysqld didn't start or started and stopped, mostly because you
killed the mysqld child processes but not the original safe_mysqld process
that startes them, and isn't running when you try to connect, i just did
this following my own instructions and the reason is i missed a step.

you have to kill the initial safe_mysqld process so either do a ps aux  and
kill the "sh safe_mysqld" process (or something close to it) or do a
/etc/rc.d/rc7.d/S90mysqld stop and then do the rest of the steps of loading
it with --skip-grant-tables

sorry to whoever I just kicked off the server as I tested this.  One other
small thing I ask is since I opened this up for you all to check out twig
with please don't send any email out as I didn't turn this feature off and
it just came to mind if you wanted too, you could pretty much spam anyone
you wanted from my box.