On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 07:27:16PM -0800, Dan B <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]
> After I install RH7

I'm still unclear why you want to start with RH7 rather than e-smith. You
get the management interface, but you also get a lot of potentially
insecure baggage. For example, we don't install statd, sendmail or
wu-ftpd, which have all had security issues recently.

> do I install *all* the RPMS on the e-smith 4.1.1 cd-rom (*.rpm)?
> Or just the esmith-*.rpm ones?

All which are not already installed. Certainly the e-smith-* ones, but
there are some others (e.g. autopassword) and some which provide fixed
kernel modules.

> I think what you meant by
> "We use the RedHat versions of all packages. Ours are additional." is that
> "ours" are the e-smith-* ones, right?

And some others - see above.

> Boy, that would be swell.  :-)

Maybe you could explain why you want to start with RH7 rather than a clean,
stripped e-smith install to which you add the packages you require?

It is usually much harder to work out what you want to remove than what
you need to add.

Gordon
--
  Gordon Rowell                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  http://www.e-smith.org (development)  http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)