Jaime,

Here goes.... :-)

Short Version:-

Quick check of your BIOS setting should show:-

Primary Master  Auto            Large or CHS
Primary Slave   Auto            LBA

Set both to LBA for extra speed.

I'd also look at putting each drive on separate cables, that is if your
CD-ROM is UDMA or better. It may also slow things down. I don't know your
system...

Long Version:-

The 8G limit old BIOS's had was Cylinders (C) couldn't be above 1024, Heads
(H) above 16, Sectors above 64. Giving 1024x16x64 = 1048576 x 8K sectors =
approx 8G

LBA just goes ahead and gives whatever the driv is set to, as you can see
from the bad drives H geometry.

bad one        geometry = 2434/255/63, sectors = 39102336, start 0
good one      geometry = 38792/16/63, sectors = 39102336, start 0

As the logical geometry of 'good drive' is the same as the physical
geometry, there is fewer overheads to writing the data.

Regards,

Craig F.