On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Michael Weinberger wrote:

> I did a fresh install of the beta4, dedicated server with pppoe.
> It looks like that the named service is not running at all.

What makes you say that?

> chkconfig reports named off for all levels,

chkconfig has nothing (or next to nothing) to do with the e-smith
configuration. Don't use it, and ignore its output.

> but there is a process
> "/usr/sbin/named -u dns --g dns -t /home/dns" running.

Then it looks to be as though the named service is running.

> service named status gives:
> ndc: error: ctl_client: evConnect(fd 3): Connection refused
> ndc: error: cannot connect to command channel (/var/run/ndc)

"service" has nothing (or next to nothing) to do with the e-smith
configuration. Don't use it, and ignore its output.

The bind configuration used in e-smith 4.1 is a
chrooted() configuration. There is no /var/run/ndc.

> I tried to read the dns threads _carefully_ and only found
> that dns is working in general.

Good. There is no problem then.

> Did I miss something?
> Or could it be related to the ADSL configuration?
> ADSL works.

Good.

> PS: What about the beta4 status page?
> It looks like a copy of the beta3 page.

Yes sorry about that. We are short staffed in documentation people at the
moment, and our developers are very busy tidying up every loose
end. Status updates have all been posted on this mailing list.

Best wishes

  http://www.e-smith.org (development)  http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)
  Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739
  e-smith, inc. 1500-150 Metcalfe St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1P1 Canada