On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Darrell May wrote:

> Peter Samuel wrote:
> <...>
> > > gzip: stdout: Broken pipe
> > > buffer (writer): write of data failed: Success
> > > bytes to write=10240, bytes written=4096, total written 92800K
> > > 8604.000000000.e-smith.netsourced1.com:3,S
> >
> > This is indeed a cosmetic issue. This is what is happening (in
> > shorthand, I'm not going to type in 3 lines of arguments :)
> >
> > We'll make a note of it in the documentation.
> >
> <...>
>
> Thanks for the explanation.  I agree that a note in the documentation
> is good idea.
>
> > As for knowing when the restore has finished, simply refresh the
> > "Backup & Restore" screen. It will tell you when the restore has
> > finished. Don't rely on looking at the lamp on the drive, you might
> > not even be in the same country as the tape drive, so -
> > unless you have
> > a reliable web cam pointed at the lamp :) - use the web manager.
> >

> Of course I don't want to hold up the release but since this is
> solved with a simple 'rewind' why not add this to your script.  In the
> time we have taken to write about this the rewind could have been
> added and issue solved :)

On your system perhaps. But not on all. The lamp should indicate that
the tape is active. When the restore has finished, activity ceases and
the lamp should go out. If the drive manufacturer decides that the
lamp also means the tape is not at the beginning then they're dumb.
All the drives I've used extinguish the activiy lamp when activity
ceases :)

Also, every code change needs testing so just because it is simple to
implement doesn't mean it is simple (and fast) to test.

--
Regards
Peter

"If you kill all your unhappy customers, you'll only have happy ones left"