e-smith does not officially support the OnStream drives at all.

This is what I needed to do to get the OnStream DI-30 to work with an
e-smith box. It assumes you have already enabled tape backups from the
e-smith manager.

    - The 2.2.16-12 kernel that ships with e-smith 4.1.1 does not
      correctly support the OnStream DI-30 drive.

    - upgrade the kernel to 2.4. I used the one from the RH7.1-fisher
      release (2.4.0-0.99.11). This caused all sorts of problems. Not
      least of which was that the location of modules is different,
      so network drivers cannot be found by the e-smith console. Some
      driver names have changed (in my case the rtl8139.o driver had been
      changed to 8139too.o) so I needed to manually edit /etc/modules.conf
      accordingly. This didn't impact the testing of the tape drive,
      but I wanted to ssh into the box and do it from my desk, so it
      impacted me. There are probably lots of other gotchas with the
      2.4 kernels that we'll need to investigate.

      You may be able to find source code for the ide-tape module that
      can be added to a 2.2 kernel.

    - You cannot use the ide-scsi module to talk to the OnStream
      DI-30. Therefore the tape device must be set to /dev/nht0 (or
      whatever is appropriate for your system).

        /sbin/e-smith/db configuration setprop backup Device /dev/nht0

    - The drive MUST use a 32k block size and it does NOT support setting
      variable blocksizes. Therefore you need to modify
      /etc/flexbackup.conf.

        mkdir -p /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/flexbackup.conf
        cat << EOF > /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/flexbackup.conf/10Blocksize
# Block size (k) to use (default for most things is 10)
$blksize = '32';

# True to use "variable" block size for the tape device (mt setblk 0)
# If false, will use the $blksize parameter above. All non-mt commands
# will still use $blksize regardless of this value
$mt_var_blksize = 'false';
EOF

    - You also need to modify /sbin/e-smith/backup

        mkdir -p /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/sbin/e-smith/backup
        cp /etc/e-smith/templates/sbin/e-smith/backup/20probe-tape \
            /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/sbin/e-smith/backup
        vi /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/sbin/e-smith/backup/20probe-tape

            change bs=10k to bs=32k

    - Rebuild the templates

        /sbin/e-smith/signal-event conf-backup

    - Unload the ide-scsi and st modules

        rmmod ide-scsi
        rmmod st

It should now work. I also had problems with running simple commands
such as

    mt -f /dev/nht0 status

It would take 5 minutes to return. Ejecting and reinserting the tape
seemed to fix this. I didn't spend a great deal of time on it so I
don't know whether it was a config issue or something stupid I'd done,
or something else.

--
Regards
Peter

"If you kill all your unhappy customers, you'll only have happy ones left"