On this note... also..

We have a separate non -esmith linux box as our www server and it has many
virtual hosts as well as derivatives of our domain...  xyz.millpost.com.au
and ertr.millpost and erte.cubok and www.cubok, etc, etc..  This Linux box
is also our DNS server and controller for our domain - that is, it is
delegated authority over our domains - so this is the server where we add
the addresses and IP numbers (We use name based virtual hosting).

Our internal server is a e-smtih server that resolves IP's for our internal
network... now ANY server that is a derivative of millpost.com.au or
cubok.com will not be shown as the e-smith server on the inside that is a
caching DNS not set to point at any other real DNS server - including ours.
Will also return "DNS error" host not found.

So what we have to do is add a entry for all our sites that are hosted by us
and are on our www server.  All other domains work great.

Why is this?

I was going to try and set our internal e-smtih server to point to our real
DNS server for resolution?  What would this do to things?  I was told by
Charlie that this is a last case resort and is not recommended.  And to just
let e-smith resolve itself from it's root.hints file as it is quite capable.

Or I guess we could set all clients to point to the real DNS server in the
right place?  But how do you make a DHCP assigned client use a specific DNS
server?  By default e-smith serves itself as the DNS to use?

Cheers,
Richard.