Mark Farey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Hi Darrell,
>
> Sorry, I'm still not convinced...
>
> 1. Add AllowOverride directive and reload as you indicate.
> 2. Change test i-bay to allow "Entire Internet (password required
outside
> LAN)".
> 3. htpp to the '../test/secure' URL.
> 4. Enter password, if required.
> 5. Wah-lah... you're in, sans SSL!
>
> Am I (still) missing something?
>
> Regards,
> Mark.

Well I missed that you were setting the ibay to:

"Entire Internet (password required outside local network)"

This setting basically says 'lets have no security internally'.  If you
had chosen:

"Entire Internet (password required)" it will work.

All you are experiencing is a combination of 'the last one that hits
enter wins' and 'some statements superscede others', regardless of
whether Override is on.  A good Apache book or a visit to the Apache site
may help you.

As a personal note, I do not like to use "password required outside local
network".  The reason for this is users who do not 'see and use' a
password when in the office will never remember how to connect when out
of the office.  Again, just my personal preference.

--
Darrell May
DMC NETSOURCED.COM