Ken,

I am often surprised at your posts.

> "Blades" sound a lot like un-GPL contribs.  Watch out developers, you
might
> get dragged into court by e-smith/Mitel.

You know, the original e-smith server was created in its entirety by Joe
Morrison - by himself and on his own time - and unlike Cobalt, NetWinder and
all those other appliances - he released the whole thing into the GPL and
set out to build a profitable business that existed in harmony with open
source.

Any benefit you get from the e-smith project has - at its root - what Joe
did, and from that point going forward, the on-going contributions of other
community members.  I assume you get some benefit from it or you wouldn't
hang out on a mailing list you so happily whine on.

Your continued antagonism baffles me and frankly pisses me off because it's
not justified.  Do you think we are funded by some social organization to
help you personally out of the goodness of our hearts?  We are a business
committed to being profitable using a business model that exists in harmony
with open source.  Is there an example of a company out there that could
sponsor an open source project that wouldn't be the object of derision for
you?   What on earth are your expectations?

> Jason, you go ahead and try
> undercut e-smith and you will see what might happen.

Blades can be either GPL or proprietary.

Take our GPL code and make it proprietary, and you're right - we'll come
after you.  Compete with us in good faith or derive business by creating
products or services on our platform or deploying our solution, then we
actually wish you well as someone validating what we are doing.

> >My question is in regards to the GPL licensing with this. What happens if
> >someone releases the exact same "blade" as a GPL version or for
$50/quarter
> >instead of $500. Will this void support contracts etc?

If we create a proprietary blade, and someone steals our property then we
will protect our IP rights, of course.  But many of our blades will be
GPL'd, many will be proprietary belonging to us, and many will be
proprietary belonging to other companies.  The diversity of the offering
benefits everyone.

We are bound to and we are committed to keeping the server GPL'd and
continuing to support this open source community, which we view as such an
important part of what we do.