> For those who need it:
>
>     http://www.bazimon.com/speedtouch.html
>
> But, from reading that page, it is still not supported "as standard".

Oops sorry, I completly forgot to give you the URL.
Since Olivier's question was about the ECI modem, I've made some research
and here is what I've found:
http://flashcode.free.fr/linux/index.php3
The driver for this modem should be released very soon. The person who wrote
the one for the Alcatel is also a member of this developper team so there
will certainly be similitudes between them.
If someone decides to release a how to or anything to support this modem
under e-smith, please tell us since this modem is one the most used (with
the Alcatel) in France.

Mathieu Paonessa
;o)