On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, Graeme Robinson wrote:

> on a 4.1.2 box I'm preparing I'm running powstatd, the UPS monitoring
> utilility and 3dm, the 3ware RAID monitoring utility.
> To have them automatically run at boot up I created symbolic links for them
> in the /etc/rc.d/rc7.d/ directory
>
> ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/powstatd /etc/rc.d/rc7.d/S100powst
> ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/3dmd /etc/rc.d/rc7.d/S253dmd
>
> This works fine until I perform the
> /sbin/e-smith/signal-event post-upgrade
> /sbin/e-smith/signal-event reboot
> command and the links disappear.

The post-upgrade event removes all links from rc7.d, then rebuilds all of
the needed ones, via /etc/e-smith/events/actions/conf-*-startup scripts.

> Why is this and how do I prevent having to redo the links again after
> future upgrades?

You create an e-smith-3dm RPM which contains a conf-3dm-startup script,
which is linked into the post-upgrade and post-install event directories.
See http://www.e-smith.org/docs/howto/building-contribs.php3.

You shouldn't be having this problem with powstatd, if you've grabbed the
latest version of e-smith-powstatd, as I updated my e-smith-powstatd RPM
on June 6th to include the necessary symlinks (the script
conf-powstatd-startup was present in earlier versions, but wasn't being
called).

Lead Product Developer
Network Server Solutions Group        http://www.e-smith.com/
Mitel Networks Corporation            http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739