> Well I might have forgotten to mention the obvious :(
> On the samba side, after you perform the commandlines to remove the
> machinename, you need to restart samba before you try to rejoin the
> computer to the domain.
OK.  Very good, but restarting the Samba process certainly isn't standard or
obvious.  This is a step that is unique to an e-smith server as I've done
the a-fore-mentioned process numerous times with Samba setups on other Linux
distros without having to restart the deamons.  From the current Samba PDC
FAQs (by Gerald Carter, Author of Using Samba):
"Creating a trust account in Samba's smbpasswd file for a machine named
FRODO is done by executing
smbpasswd -a -m FRODO
This will set up an account for the client machine and set the initial
password to a default value that is the machine's NetBIOS name in lowercase
letters. Once a client successfully joins a domain, it will change the
password to some random value. For this reason, if a client ever leaves the
domain and wishes to rejoin later, you must reset the trust account password
again using the previous command."  <snip>  "You do not have to kill smbd to
change the machine
password for a domain member.  "

For those who took the time to look at the suggestions I made to the
machine-account-create script  I think they'll find that it does everything
that the previous script does and you don't have to restart the samba
daemons.  ;-)   Additionally, it's a "safer" bit of code as it doesn't use
the "system" perl function for executing the other processes (i.e., useradd
& db), thereby minimizing the potential for zombie processes.

Regards,

Greg J. Zartman