Michael Doerner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Hi Darrell,
>
> it looks quite nice and I played with it (stopped some services).

Thanks

> I am not sure whether it reports the proper status for the DNS server
> (port 53)?
>
> I stopped named but it still says DNS is running. I don't know about the
> lookup command that is used for it but could it be that this  checks TCP
> ports and not UDP (as DNS/named is)?

Yes, it was checking TCP only.

Hmmm.  There is a way to get it to check UDP so I played with this
function:

function lookup_udp($hport,$Something,$who){

    $fp = fsockopen ("udp://$who", $hport, &$errno, &$errstr, 4);
    if (!$fp){
        $data = "<tr><td width=....
        } else {
        $data = "<tr><td width=....
        }
        return $data;
        fclose($fp);
}

However it didn't work as expected and then I ran across this comment
posted on php.net under the fsockopen function which explains why:

"when using udp:// it always returns a resource id therefore $fp will
always be set. =("

Any PHP wizard now of a way to make this work?  If not we may simply have
to remove the check on port 53 as we do not want it to be a misleading
display.

Darrell May
DMC Netsourced.com
http://netsourced.com