> I think that this is what the problem may be - I see only a
> single \ ahead
> of %L, and the same in the logon path line:
Confirmed.  I don't use roaming profiles, so haven't playing with either of
these parameters up until now.  This is very strange....  Perl shouldn't
interpret a \ as an escape character when the single (tick) quote marks are
used.  I played around with perl a little and for some reason it is turning
two back slashes into one even with single tick mark quotes.  Doesn't happen
if you attempt to use some of the control characters like \n (newline). Perl
prints \n if you code print '\n'.  If I code print '\\', perl prints a
single quote.   Very strange.

Looks like the fragments need to specify three backslashes when two are
required in those fragments that utilize perl code.

Greg  Zartman