On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 09:59:31AM -0800, David Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've got a couple of quick suggestions and questions about the
> e-smith-samba-1.1.0-14 rpm.  It looks like the template fragments
> 11logonPath and 11logonHome got switched, as they each point to the other
> one's variable, i.e. 11logonPath has logon home =  and 11logonHome has logon
> path =

Fixed - thanks.

> Also, I would like to suggest adding a fragment 11logonDrive with the
> following text:
>
> {
> # User home directory drive mapping
>
>     return unless ($SambaDomainMaster eq "yes");
>
>     '    logon drive = U:';
> }
>
> This automatically maps the U drive (for user :)) to the user's home
> directory, as defined by logon home.  I find this to be the easiest way to
> get our users to store their data on the server, without much hassle.  I
> know this can be accomplished through the netlogon.bat file with the command
> net use U: \\servername\%username%, but having it automatic in samba makes
> my life easier.

Given the diversity of opinion over drive mapping and the ability to do
this through netlogon.bat, I don't think we should include this at
this stage. It can be done with a custom template or an add-on RPM until
people agree on what should be in there. I'd propose a LogonDrive
parameter to the smb service, and if set, generate the output line.

> The question I have about e-smith-samba-1.1.0-14 is regarding how it sets
> the permissions on the directories for the printer drivers.  Dan Brown's
> How-To says to run chmod -R 777 on the directories, and I wanted to know
> what was the reasoning behind having a more restrictive set of permissions
> on those directories.

It's a basic philosophy to avoid having world-writable directories. Can
anyone confirm that they must be world-writable, or alternatively suggest
more restrictive permissions which work?

> I'm having trouble getting the printing to work right
> under samba 2.2.2, and I didn't know if the permissions was part of the
> problem.
> [...]

Is it "printing" or installation of printer drivers which is failing?

Gordon
--
  Gordon Rowell                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  VP Engineering