----- Original Message -----
From: "John Lederer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'e-smith devinfo'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2001 8:36 PM
Subject: [e-smith-devinfo] IPSEC implementation--DNS

> I am having a little trouble wrapping my mind around IPSEC and
> particulalry DNS once IPSEC is up.
>
> If I connect network A to network B using IPSEC , we would presumably
> like to be able to reach  machines on B from machines on A  using their
> internal network names. Presumably the DNS server on B holds these
> internal names , e.g. 1stfloorprinter.internal.net <==> 192.168.1.23.
>  How does a workstaion on network A resolve  an internal name on B? I
> assume that we only want to use B's DNS server to resolve names internal
> to B, so there must be some mechanism to send those queries to DNS on B,
> and all other queries out to the Internet.

I resolved the problem using the A's dns as "slave" of B one.
I had to modify the A and B dns config file.

I don't need a dns for A network, I only ave a DNS on b that
resolve names for the A and B (and C and D ) network.
The administrator only set the dns entries on B then
dns replicate the informations, because the dns daemon
is chrooted to /home/dns there is the file named-xfer
from /usr/bin to /home/dns/usr/bin .

Hope this help

Bye
    Lorenzo