Darrell,

At 10:36 28/9/2001, Darrell May wrote:
>To run every 15 & 30 minutes:
>
>[root@e-smith /root]# cat /etc/cron.d/raidmonitor
>*/15 * * * * root /usr/local/bin/raidmonitor -v
>
>[root@e-smith /root]# cat /etc/cron.d/ravupdate
>*/30 * * * * root /usr/local/rav8/bin/ravav --update engine --host \
>ftp.us.ravantivirus.com > /dev/null 2>&1

What you have above is correct and should work fine. I just created a test
entry in /etc/cron.d:

*/5 * * * * root ls -l

and it ran as expected, every 5 minutes.

>But cron did not pick up the changes automatically.  Nor did:
>
>/etc/rc.d/init.d/crond stop|start|restart|reload ... etcetera do any good
>
>It took a full reboot to get everything working just fine.

Is this on your 4.1.2 or 5.0 servers? My test is on 4.1.2. I wouldn't
expect to see any different behaviour at all in 5.0 - Vixie cron is a
pretty stable product, so I am at a loss as to why this is happening for
you. Do you have spaces or tabs between the fields? I just thought of this,
so haven't tested it, but perhaps tabs are the cause (if indeed you'd used
them - long shot, I know).

Des