Nor do I, for there is no one correct conclusion.

> Bottom line, I respectfully disagree with your premise that
> allowing telnet
> in directly as root is a good idea, particularly if it is on
> an external
> interface or if your internal network is not 100% physically secure.

I did not express an opinion that root access via telnet is always a good
idea. Quite to the contrary, I stated that the unqualified categorization of
root telnet access as a bad thing is itself a bad thing. The position that
secured access methods are generally preferable to unsecured is of course
reasonable -- it is the assertion that unsecured methods are always bad that
I take exception to. The determination as whether root telnet access is bad
or good is situational and best left to the individual administrator.

But as you say, we are best left agreeing to disagree :-)

Scott