On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 10:53:36AM -0600, John Powell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]
> BuildRequires: e-smith-devtools
>
> Not even sure what e-smith-devtools is.  I just removed the line (all
> I was doing was packaging scripts), but am somewhat interested in what
> it is and, if interesting, where I can get it.  It was put in there
> quite intentionally (it was in the change log), so want to know if
> this is something important.

It is on your SME Server/e-smith CDROM and installed on all systems.

> and the following line also caught me:
>
> Requires: e-smith-base, e-smith-lib, e-smith >= 4.1
>
> Especially the last part "e-smith >= 4.1".  What are we supposed to
> put in here?

Just drop the 'e-smith' dependency. It is now historical. There used
to be (way back when) a single e-smith RPM. It has now been split into
many component RPMs.

> I tried just changing it to "e-smith >=5.0" and it
> failed the dependancy (a --nodeps worked nicely, but that is ugly).

The use of --nodeps implies a dependency problem :-) Seriously, people
should be very wary of --nodeps and even more so of --force. Both are
likely to cause you problems with future upgrades.

> I tried poking around with rpm -q and could not find the correct value
> to put in here.  I do want to require Mitel SME 5.0 in some of my
> RPMs, so am very interested in the correct value to insert here.  Not
> sure if this is an issue created by the Mitel transition or I am just
> being stupid (probably the latter).

Many of the RPMs are still tagged 'e-smith' and are likely to be for some
time to come. This is the best test:

e-smith-release >= 5.0

> Any guidance is appreciated.

Gordon
--
  Gordon Rowell                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  VP Engineering