Charlie Brady <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

<snip>
> So John could produce e-smith-ldap-4.4.0-08jp1 from
e-smith-ldap-4.4.0-08
> and e-smith-base-4.6.1-21jp1 from e-smith-base-4.6.1-21, and make them
> available.
<snip>

That will certainly work.

Another option is to create a separate rpm that templates any of the files
needing to be replaced and adds an event to expand the templated files and
set the appropriate file rights.  This does not effect any existing rpms,
does not require a --force and after an upgrade (and review to make sure you
code is still viable) you simply signal the event to return your code.

I'd probably build both.

In this case I would send e-smith-base-4.6.1-21jp1 to the author with the
hope it would eventually be reborn as e-smith-base-4.6.1-22 ;->.  In the
mean time, I'd implement my option as it would be easier to track, implement
and restore if the author decides not to incorporate the changes.

Darrell May
DMC Netsourced.com
http://netsourced.com
http://myEZserver.com