I'm wondering if we aren't starting to wonder off-base here a little.  I
thought the original intent of this specific development project was to
establish a testbed, so to speak, for trying out new technologies on
SME.

Do we need a forked version of SME to do this?  In my opinion, no.  What
we really need is a development version of SME 5.1.2, with all that folks
can download, install, and start doing developing on.  Maybe this means
one devel. version of SME 5.1.2 based on Linux 2.2.x and another on Linux
2.4.x.

We can make lists of contribs that we'd like to see installed in
production SME, but in the end it's Mitel who will decided what goes in
their product.  I don't think we can, or should, go much further than
making sure they work right on the main system.  Developers usually
aren't the folks making decisions of what or what not to include (unless
it goes to base system quality/stability), it's management.

If I'm the one who's off-base where, let me know and I'll pipe down.

Greg J. Zartman, P.E.
Vice-President

Logging Engineering International, Inc.
1243 West 7th Avenue