On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, David Brown wrote:

> To clarify things for me, what benefit do we derive out of this?  Are we
> templating php.ini just so it's like everything else, or is there a deeper
> reason?

There is a deeper reason.

> I can see templating files that rely on changes in the server
> configuration (i.e. httpd.conf or smb.conf), but php.ini does not need
> to be a dynamic file, at least as I see it.

It is templated for the same reason that all other configuration files are
templated - so that you can make controlled changes to them. The
configuration file becomes a combination of policy recorded in the
configuration database and the template (including any custom template).

This means, for instance, that you can do a backup and restore, using
standard SME server tools, and preserve the current settings. It means
that you can do a restore of a backup onto a newer version of the system,
and still get the same policy applied. It means that you can install new
software packages, e.g. one which uses the Oracle module of PHP, and have
the newly installed package add Oracle specific sections to php.ini.

If you go to Darrell's HOWTO collection you'll see one or more suggestions
to tweak php.ini settings. Those changes can probably be made now by
setting properties of the "php" entry in the configuration database.

If you have a look in the php.ini template fragments, you'll see that I've
set up MaxExecutionTime, MemoryLimit, PostMaxSize, UploadMaxFilesize as
optional properties of "php". They all default to the current values if
unset, and everything else is taken verbatim from the current php.ini
file. If anyone thinks that thing should be broken out differently, or
that there should be other settings set up as optional properties, please
let me know. Or better still, make the change and send me the patch.

I hope this helps.

Lead Product Developer
Network Server Solutions Group        http://www.e-smith.com/
Mitel Networks Corporation            http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739