On Mon, 2002-05-13 at 17:57, Jeremy McNicoll wrote:

> I have recently got my email automatically forwarding to my cell phone.
> As well I have added some hacks to let the user enter in the email
> address to forward to.   The following is what I installed for the SMS
> part of it.
>
> http://adamspiers.org/computing/email2sms/
>
> Some questions that I am looking for some suggestions about the
> "E-Smith" way of doing things.
>
> 1) I put the users email forwarding address as a entry in the userpanel.
> Would it be wise to stick the PCS address to forward to in the password
> file or is there a database stored somewhere for each user that I can
> read?

What I did was:
 - qmail supports "dash" addresses.  e.g. if [EMAIL PROTECTED] is a valid
 email address, then [EMAIL PROTECTED] is also valid.  It goes and
 looks for a file called .qmail-glumph in user's home directory.  That
 can deliver to a command...
 - so I create a file .qmail-lgumph for every user that contains
something like:
   |email2sms|sendsms.pl $MODEM_DEVICE

You have to watch out for permissions,  because it runs as the userid
of "user", not as root.  I ended up with sendsms.pl being setuid root.
Being a Perl script, it was relatively easy for it to be reading the
/home/e-smith/accounts file.  It looked up the users phone number from
there,  and checked to see if it looked like a mobile phone number.

> 2) There were quite a few files I had to add etc.  Would it be wise to
> get the people to install themselves or build an RPM?
>
> 3) Besides working on ALPHA testing, whats the next step to get this
> work back to the users that use E-Smith?   Should I waiste any time
> packaging it or is there some kind of automagic packager that E-Smith
> has?

Here's what I did.  It's a bit dodgy,  but feel free to improve on it.
 lynx -source http://install.ifost.org.au/esmith-sms

The problems:
 - my sendsms script only works in Australia,  because it uses an
Australian gateway.
 - the install script only works in Australia,  because it uses an
Australian RedHat mirror that won't allow overseas connections
(easy to fix)
 - it doesn't work very reliably anyway,  because it rewrites
/etc/inittab (!) to block fax reception (which was on the same
line for the customer I did it for).
 - it doesn't have a pretty web interface for setting which modem
to use.

Hope this helps.

I may be doing a job soon-ish where I'll have some time to improve
on it.  We should probably try to merge our work;  I'll talk to
you further about it later.

> Thanks.
>

> --
> Please report bugs to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Please mail [EMAIL PROTECTED] (only) to discuss security issues
> Support for registered customers and partners to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Archives by mail and http://www.mail-archive.com/devinfo%40lists.e-smith.org

   Greg Baker
   The Institute for Open Systems Technologies
   Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Phone Int'l: 61 500 545 856 (GMT +10/11)
   Phone Aus: 0500 545 856