Over the last week I have managed to get two e-smith machines connected to
each other via some Zoomair 4105 PCMCIA network cards. I basically have full
connectivity between the two machines and client machines on either sides of
the networks.

My plans for the above are:

Connectivity for businesses between remote sites.
To aid some local guys who are in the planning stages of setting up a public
wireless network.
And possibly a remote administration/backup solution for customers (way down
the track).

Wireless networking brings with it a number of security issues that are
unique to the technology involved and sorting this out is my next step.

I have considered the following:

WEP - secure to the extent of keeping out the tire kickers and would be set
up as a matter of course on all connections.
Using the local networks function in the e-smith server. I suspect this
wouldn’t be to hard to get around though.
Using IPsec between the networks across the wireless link. This would
probably cause problems in the public wireless network scenario as they tend
to be a fairly open setup.

Whilst i am not asking for any how to`s with respect to setting things up i
would appreciate any comments/suggestions on what people consider good
wireless security practices.

We will be running some distance versus through put tests over the next few
weeks and I am looking forward to getting my home network tied in to the
office.

BTW If anybody is interested in these particular cards i am willing to offer
advice. After 3 days of Blood, Sweat and Tears (plus alot of profanity)I
found in the end it was typical of the Linux experience. It wasn`t that hard
and I probably made it harder than it should have been.

Regards Duncan