Jeff Coleman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> I agree with everything you have said here although there is certainly
> more than one contrib/internal development project obsoleted by the new
> rev.

If mailfront simply made the contribs obsolete that would be fine.  That
would simply mean we could rebuild them to work with mailfront.
Unfortunately mailfront in it's current form does not offer the same
features as obtuse so there is no way to rebuild the contribs to work with
mailfront.

I've tried to research this but I find the mailfront web site very poor with
no valid documentation.  I've posted my 5.5 beta comments and tried to ask
for assistance from Mitel but no one stepped forward to work together with
me.

So, on my own, AFAIK, the only thing mailfront appears to use is
/etc/tcprules/tcp.smtp and then simply passes to qmail for everything else.
I may be missing something but no one has stepped up to offer any other
advice yet.

With no smtpcheckrules for instance, the default qmail settings are all we
have to work with.  Therefor incoming mail, checks against
/var/qmail/control/badrcptto & rcpthosts.  Both are qmail features, not
mailfront.

Badrcptto uses the 'internal' db entry and rcpthosts uses the hosts/domains
db entries.

1) Can anyone see a way for mailfront or qmail to restrict incoming e-mail
to valid e-mail addresses only?

Next, the only way I can see to block e-mails is to create and template a
badmailfrom file.  However this again is a qmail feature, not mailfront, and
is limited in options.

2) Can anyone provide details for creating the equivalent of smtpcheckrules
with mailfront?

If the answer is YES to these, and someone shares 'how', or even provides a
starting point, then I will try to rebuild the contribs to work with
mailfront.

Darrell May
DMC Netsourced.com
http://netsourced.com