On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Brandon Friedman wrote:

> Charlie Brady wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Brandon Friedman wrote:
> >
> >>I am looking to start a discussion about dial-up on SME.
> >
> > We've had it before.
>
> Yes and it's still a problem!

Please re-read (and hopefully understand) the original discussion. It's
tedious to restart the conversation at the very beginning.

> >>As some you have found out (the hard) - SME dial-up seems to be irratic!
> >
> > You didn't present evidence for that before, and you haven't done it now.
>
> Ok Charlie I will send you log files if you like? Offlist?

No, thanks. I don't provide support.

> The problem is that diald is being triggered by every DNS request on the
> network....

Ah, so you know what the problem is. Then you don't need to send me (or
anyone) log files.

> Now you can't tell that I need to configure 100 odd workstation to make
> Norton and Windows behaves?

Perhaps.

> This sort of control must come from the gateway!

Probably so. But it looks as though you need to customise the diald
policies. As Gordon says, RTFM.

> If we could control dial-on-demand DNS requests, that would be useful!

Indeed.

> BTW What is the diald website?

"rpm -qd diald" will point you to the documentation which comes with the
diald rpm. You can find out more about diald by typing this into your
browser:

http://www.google.com/search?q=diald

Lead Product Developer
Network Server Solutions Group        http://www.e-smith.com/
Mitel Networks Corporation            http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 592 5660 or 592 2122  Fax: +1 (613) 592 1175