> find any clear reference/answer to this issue.  Every smb.conf example I've
> come across seems to have both entries in place.  It may be best to use
> both.  I can't see having both would hurt anything :-)

No need for both Darrell.  I ran a test this morning whereby I commented
out my password chat parameter and changed my pam password change
parameter to yes.  Running a testparm | grep chat verifies that the
password chat parameter has been returned to the Samba default (which in
and of itself WILL NOT work for password sync on SME 5.5).  After
restarting the Samba deamons, I was able to successfully change
passwords from Win 2K and Win9x clients.

I think the best course of action is to ditch the password chat all
together and go with the PAM option.  This would eliminate the need to
debug the password chat parameter when future changes to the passwd
dialog chanages.

--
Greg J. Zartman, P.E.
Vice-President