On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Smith, Jeffery S (Scott) wrote:

> As things currently stand, it certainly seems that Mitel are not interested
> in either A) community support in developing release schedules and feature
> sets, or B) community support in refining (ie, developing) code and
> solutions for upcoming releases.

If the community were developing the software, community involvement in
scheduling *might* be appropriate. But it isn't. Never forget that
Mitel NSSG is a commercial venture of Mitel Networks Corporation.

> As open source goes, Mitel's approach is somewhat closed.

Our approach policy is not materially different from RedHat's:

 http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/msg.php3?msg_id=6720876&list=84

Yes, they have a public Bugzilla and a visible RawHide release, but:

1. they have a very much larger install base, and much more technically
competent beta community

2. their development staff is orders of magnitude larger than ours.

Now if you will excuse me, I'll get back to fixing bugs.

Lead Product Developer
Network Server Solutions Group        http://www.e-smith.com/
Mitel Networks Corporation            http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 592 5660 or 592 2122  Fax: +1 (613) 592 1175