Before people rush out and start implementing iANS, ALB or FEC, you
should be aware that the resultant team virtual adapter does NOT have to
have a simple ethx device name, and this will affect dhcpd, masq, and
appletalk to name a few. I thought I'd try to get this running locally
before moving it more into alpha territory.

Despite the speed benefits, personally, I'm more interested in fail-over
and other reliability factors. With redundant power, redundant arrays of
disks (RAID), and ECC memory most server parts are protected in one way
or another. Dead ports, dead nics, and dim cleaners all contribute to
messages of "I can't access my server" whether using Win2K, SME, RedHat,
or Novell.

Speed is also becoming an issue now with Adaptec 2400A IDE RAID becoming
a very inexpensive way to speed up drive access. Many of my design
client regularly deal with 50MB+ files, and three or four active
designers will saturate a 100BaseT card and switch. The example I gave
of Terminal Services is valid, as we support many offices with 20+
people, and the required bandwidth for those people can be extremely
high.

iANS also supports Multi-Vendor Teaming, meaning you can use one intel
Server Adapter, and use other cheaper cards to fulfill demand. (this
doesn't suggest you should use trashy NICs though)

If SME end up with the extra features of reliability and scalability,
why does Mitel "seem" so against it?

Regards,

Craig Foster

1) Some speed figures will follow once I'm off sick leave

2) People can read more about iANS at
http://support.intel.com/support/network/adapter/1000/linux/ans.htm

http://myezserver.com/downloads/mitel/contrib/Intel/

e100-2.1.15-sme55.i386.rpm