On 9 Oct 2002 at 16:48, Craig Foster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Speed is also becoming an issue now with Adaptec 2400A IDE RAID becoming
> a very inexpensive way to speed up drive access. Many of my design
> client regularly deal with 50MB+ files, and three or four active
> designers will saturate a 100BaseT card and switch. The example I gave
> of Terminal Services is valid, as we support many offices with 20+
> people, and the required bandwidth for those people can be extremely
> high.

I recently built an SME server with an Adaptec 2100S SCSI RAID
controller configured to talk to a 70Gb RAID5 array for a similar
environment.  As you say, network bandwidth saturation is a big
problem.  I solved mine by using a Netgear GA622 gigabit adapter
talking to a managed 2 port gigabit / 24 port 100 switch.  Real world
results are very impressive - reads seem to max out at around 500mb/s
- the disk array is probably the bottleneck now.  The server has now
been up without a single glitch for nearly 3 months.

Gigabit is now coming down to price levels where this sort of
performance is achievable at a (relatively) sensible cost.
--
Nick Ramsay
Witzend Computer Services