Folks, I have seen some varied discussion here and other places about
stopping spammers. Most folks use filters, like spam assassin and other
spam filtering software. As far as I can tell, this does not stop the
use of the bandwidth. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I see that most inexperienced pond-scum spammers do not know how to use
a valid domain, or use their own servers domain, which is stoppable at
the front door by using reverse lookup and noto lines in
smtpd-check-rules or by getting the spammer booted from their host. This
worked for me for several months. However, there are those who are more
experienced at spamming and wasting bandwidth by using an open SMTP
server (in most cases) that has a valid reverse DNS, but yet claim to be
someone else, thereby causing bounce messages to bounce back to the SMTP
server, etc., and using more bandwidth. To me this could be a
vulnerability if a spammer wanted to flood a server on the SMTP port
causing thousands of bounced messages to be generated and loading down
the server...

What I am wondering/wishing is if code can be added to the SMTP server
software to make it compare the actual valid DNS upon reverse lookup to
the domain being claimed by the connection. If the claimed domain is not
found anywhere within the string returned on the reverse lookup, the
connection would be closed with a 550 error to the SMTP server and
stopping the spammer at the front door and saving bandwidth.

It should be just a simple comparison function to determine if the
reverse lookup matches the domain being claimed. It would be a very
useful feature!

I have won half the battle with the reverse lookup, and now I am wanting
to put the nail in the coffin...  My only problem is I do not know how
to modify the smtp server software.  Anyone here capable of doing that?

I am still with SME 5.1.2 until the spam problem is resolved with later
versions.

Tom Carroll