Hope you don't mind, but I made some corrections for 5.6 they are below.
BTW,nice work!
Not at all. This howto was actually developed on an SME 5.6 box.

I do see your point in deleting step 5 and agree that the preferred master parameter really isn't doing anything since we are relying on the PDC for WINS. However, I thought it a little silly to leave it set to yes in this setup. Maybe it would be better to redefine the 11preferredMaster fragment to simply delete the paramter from smb.conf. The default for this paramter is auto.

Thanks for catching my typo on the 11smbPassWdFile fragment.

Thanks for the suggestion.

--
Greg J. Zartman, P.E.
Vice-President