Can you explain the need for step 3 (guest=ok) given step 4 and onward?
Sure. This one was a bit tricky to figure out and required a question on the samba mailing list.

For the SME client that is joining a domian as a member:

guest ok = no: Requires that each user have an account on the local machine to access local resources, which we don't want. The PDC will authenticate you to have access to the machine, but you won't be able to access any resources.

guest ok = yes: Will rely 100% on the PDC for authentication.

Something quirky?
Yes, that's that I though. Guest in this case doesn't mean an anonymous user, just a user that is not known to the local machine.

--
Greg J. Zartman, P.E.
Vice-President

Logging Engineering International, Inc.