Hi Gary.
For what it may be worth, I happen to own a SparcServer 5
with 10Mb NIC, twin 4Gb HDDs, CDROM and a few other misc parts.
It doesn't have a monitor nor a graphics card, and therefore I
ran everything via a small terminal on the serial console port.
This could be an issue, but could be solved via a console redirect.

I haven't used it in a couple years, and it was running SunOS 4
when I shut it down (mail server and dns).  I'd be happy to test
your ported SME for you, as soon as I can dig it out and dust
it off a bit, as the systems are of the same general vintage.

If you're interested, let me know. - CKA