Folks,

Mitel and contribs.org are currently working together to migrate the forums
over to contribs.org for continuity.  With the forums we will be taking all
of the old posts in order to insure that we have a complete copy for
historical and research purposes.  At this point the timing for the forum
transition is not fixed, but we are expecting it to happen within the next
week or so.

In addition, there is already conversation with a number of developers (both
inside and outside of Mitel) as to how to keep the project alive and well
for the benefit of all.  Anyone who wishes to help will be welcomed to do
so.  Contribs.org will gladly continue to host any contribs and other
development work being done on the SME Server.

Right now, the idea is to move the forums and get people used to the
transition so that they can find the information that they want as quickly
and easily as possible.

The good folks at Mitel have been VERY cooperative in working with us on
this transition.  Dan York has already posted information to this list
indicating that any GPL derived work will continue to be released to the
public.  Other Mitel developers have shown an interest in participating in
the community as their time and resource permit.

IMO (and you are certainly welcome to differ), it's a little premature to be
planning for a complete rewrite, repackage, fork, or any other major changes
until the current situation settles.

We should be able to make great headway in the next couple of weeks in
building a community platform at contribs.org for both discussion and
development and keeping this great product alive and moving forward.

If you have time, expertise, money, or other valuable process to donate to
this cause we will try and build a framework to maximize the benefits.
Please be patient as there is much ground work that must be done in order to
facilitate the transfer.  Once we have that done in the next few weeks it
will be much easier to address any of the good ideas that many of you have.

-jeff
On behalf of contribs.org

          Jeff Coleman
     Resource Strategies, Inc.