On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 04:35:44PM +1100, Brad Hards wrote:
> We will maintain up to four feature / package plans:
> 1. The current minor release feature plan (ie the one we are
> developing). Right now, this is the 6.1 release plan.
> 2. The next minor release featureplan (which will be opened just before we
> close the current minor release plan - features that aren't ready get
> moved back a release). This will be 6.2, if there is such a release.
> 3. The major release feature plan (cool stuff that can't make it into the
> minor release because it is too intrusive). Right now, this will be 7.0.
> 4. The next major release feature plan (which opens when the current major
> release plan closes. This would be 8.0.

Before you go much futher, I think there's a real need to choose a
'meta package' handler.  Yum or Apt-rpm, for instance.  This isn't a
minor issue: E-smith is in sore need of a Debian-like release system.
If the distribution is managed as a series of online package
repositories with a tool like Yum or Apt as the interface, you can then
offer

        * An easy upgrade path (possibly with no need for a reboot, if
          managed properly)
        * The option of either keeping your system right up to date or
          just doing security updates.
        * A simple way to add extra functionality that relies on a whole
          set of packages rather than just one (e.g. Freeswan-based
          vpns).  As things stand, it can be difficult to make sure
          these extras continue functioning after an upgrade.  With a
          yum or apt system, you simply include the extra repository and
          install the appropriate virtual package.

Any thoughts?

--
Bruce