On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 11:34:41PM +0100, Matthew Toseland wrote:
> I think we should delay. We need time to sort out the windoze
> installers, _and test them_.

I will be very unhappy indeed if the Windows installer delays the
release.

> I have discovered some problems recently
> whose solutions will not be quite trivial, to do with long startup times.

From what I hear it is because the seednodes.ref file is being reloaded
each time, the fix for that is trivial - I have already pointed out two
ways to do it on IRC.

> Oskar's patch for metadata may well be wrong too (the previous one was).
> We should release "when it's done".

It is entirely the definition of "when it's done" that is at issue here.

One reasonable definition is that "when it's done" is when it is more
stable than 0.3 - we met that criteria weeks if not months ago.

Another definition, the definition I offered on the 2nd of October and
which was met with no disagreement whatsoever, was that it is done when
the datastore bug is fixed.  We have met that critieria too by any
reasonable definition.

If your definition is "when there are no bugs", then I am afraid we may
as-well forget the whole concept of periodic releases, because we will
never ever satisfy everyone.

Releases are always two weeks away, the only way to actually achieve
them is to draw a line in the sand - trust me, I have been doing this
type of thing for a while now in a variety of different environments.

Ian.