From: Taral <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> I'd really like it if freenet would bind() outgoing connections to the
> appropriate port... That way I can assign them to freenet's traffic
> class in my filter.

Please!

That explains why my traffic shaping was only marginally successful.
I nicely limited incoming traffic, but only some of the outgoing
traffic was being capped.  It seems that some of the connects from
fred are bound the the listenPort and the rest use a random port.  I
suspect that it varies with different types of connections. (query,
announce, insert, ...)

BTW, for those people who keep arguing that traffic shaping is crude
and wasteful: I was able to trottle incoming packets from 100kbps to
15kbps(*) without dropping a packet.  My firewall just queued and
delayed the incoming packets to match the desired incoming rate and
the TCP stack on the sending side automaticly adjusts to match that
rate.  (TCP is really pretty impressive when you think about it.)

-Wayne

*) Sorry I have a high bandwidth connection, but I pay by the Gig over
   a certain cap.