On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 11:16:15PM +0000, Matthew Toseland wrote:
<>
> > so that only nodes which have been up for a while (and which are
> > therefore likely to stay up) will really get insinuated into the
> > network.  I suspect that having 99% of Windows users unwittingly set up
> > transient nodes is more damaging to the network than users unwittingly
> > setting up transient nodes when they could be permenant.
>
> It is not clear that "permanent" nodes that are only up four hours a day
> are more use than harm to the network.

I think we do a poor job of presenting the requirements of freenet
involvement to those who stumble upon it. To use freenet, a host must
be:

(a) Accessible to connections from the Internet.
(b) Permanently addressed.
(c) Constantly running and online.
(d) Not starved for bandwidth or other resources.

Most Internet users probably don't meet a single of these
characteristics, let alone all of them. Which means that Freenet's
potential users are probably only a couple of percent of them, something
that we attempt to hide like a dirty secret.

OTOH, we would be fools if we didn't expect a 90/10 ratio of leechers to
providers. I doubt we'll ever see that change.

<>

--

Oskar Sandberg