> would it be possible to rename the old jar instead of overwring it? My
> current updating is
>
> - stop node
> - rename jar (with version number)
> - run updater
> - start node
>
> renaming the old jar to freenet-old.jar would be useful (and overwriting
> that one if it exists) - not only if someone wants to archive builds,
> but also if a build is buggy so that you can revert to the one before.

Rather than rename any/all files the installer overwrites, I would prefer to
add an option to the installer that allows the user to select (if they so
wish) whether or not they want to choose which version to download in the
case where there are multiple versions available.  Something like a
'Automatic' vs. 'Custom' install.

Until then, if you really want to upgrade your software and make a backup of
the original, you do know you can do this manually by just copying the jar
while the node is running?  You don't need to stop freenet to make a backup
of it.  You could even write yourself a batch file that:
1.  Copies freenet.jar, freenet-ext.jar, and whatever else you want kept
2.  Runs freenet-webinstall.exe

I'll consider a 'Make backup of replaced files' option for a 'Custom'
install when I do the 'Custom' options for the webinstaller, but it's not a
particularly high priority of mine right now.