On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 05:00:07AM -0500, Gianni Johansson wrote:
> Matthew Toseland wrote:
> >On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 10:34:48PM -0800, Tracy R Reed wrote:
> >
> >>On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 05:34:19AM -0500, Gianni Johansson spake thusly:

> >Threads. Threads. Threads. And did I mention threads?
> >

> What do you mean? Thread creation should be minimized by the thread pooling.

I mean context switching. We have heard from other people who have used
java with very many threads, saying that the context switching overhead
is actually a big part of the slowness. Anyway, java provides various
profiling tools... if you set cpu=samples, you get timings including
idle time waiting for IO, but it's fast. If you set cpu=times, you get
actual CPU times... this should identify any bottlenecks. Last I looked
most of the top seemed to be dominated by crypto, but you are welcome to
try.

java -Xrunhprof:cpu=samples,file=freenet.prof,cutoff=0.0000001 freenet.node.Main