Blah to the design rant. While my site, Avalon, has a white background, it is most definitely competitive with websites these days. I have been pushing, in the freenet community, a style of design called "minimalist". The idea is that you take advantage of CSS and use it's features, not images, to make the page attractive. It requires more work, but many of the finest websites I have seen are done with CSS more than tables. Anyways.

Try http://textbased.com/~minimalist/ and http://textbased.com

Maybe you'll understand that images are not needed that much. Most freenet users use a browser that supports CSS fairly well. Also, they support PNG for the most part. PNGs can be very highly optimized without noticeable loss of detail. In the future, we'll see SVG.

Freenet is a blessing in disguise for the designer. It offers a medium where standard technologies will work 99 times out of 100.