>     * Node must know its own IP address somehow.  (Doesn't always work.)
>>
>>   Greg's Proposal:
>>     * New node asks two other nodes what its own IP address is.
>
> Best idea IMHO. More than 2 actually.

I think my proposal from quite some time ago was for the node to ask
another node (possibly more than one) for its IP address, and then to
validate it.  As Greg pointed out back then, a node behind a NAT cannot
guarantee that its external IP address is routable internally, and my
proposal took this into account by asking a second node to verify its IP
address.

So:
A->B what is my IP address
B->A it is aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
A creates a long random number and makes it available at its FNP port as
something like 'entropy.txt'
A->C get the entropy.txt from aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd and send me the result
C->aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd what is your entropy.txt?
aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd->C this is my entropy.txt
C->A this is your entropy.txt

If the entropy.txt matches what A itself generated then aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd==A

Obviously some checking would be needed so that entropy.txt would only be
given out in response to the request coming from C iff C is the same as
the C in A->C

I hope that kinda makes sense.  Yes it's a bit complex.