>The only ones that support NIO, to my knowledge, are gcj and Classpath.

there is a NBIO library (I forgot the url) which is fully supported by kaffe and gcj, and is compatible with 1.3 and has seen heavy production use.

So if you want to help freenet run on non-proprietary non-1.4 platforms, you could write a wrapper to NBIO that will emulate the java.nio functions; We can't use NBIO directly because it lacks certain features and it would require major code re-write, but if we had a facade that looked jsut like it, then we'd use it.

Oh, and any such solution have to stand up to the ability of having 500 open connections under linux with less than 50% cpu usage on 1 to 2 Ghz x86 cpus and maintain routingTime averages of less than 30ms. Because that's exactly what 1.4.[1/2] with nio does now.

P.S. FYI, 1.4.1 & 2 are NPTL-enabled.