On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 11:25:58AM +0100, Gordan wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 Jul 2003 20:23, Toad wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 04:59:30PM -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > I think the 1 MB limit is okay.
> > >
> > > See for example yesterday's TFEE container. It is about 400 KB and it
> > > consists of some 3 HTML and 1 CSS that sum up to nearly 2 MB!
> >
> > This seems like a reasonable argument to allow compressing individual
> > files. Anyone want to code it?
>
> I could easily be tempted.
>
> However, note that I have never even looked at the Freenet source code yet, so
> unless there is a reasonable amount of source code documentation somewhere in
> a tangible form somewhere (which I don't think is likely due to the shortness
> of the development cycle at the moment, but I'd love to be proven wrong) (no,
> this does not include inside people's heads! :-p), it is likely that I would
> slow down other developers already on the ball with my questions about the
> current code base in the short-ish term.
>
> If this is acceptable, then please drop me an email off list with the
> development "protocol" information (i.e. CVS access, patch submission
> procedure, environment hints (e.g. use Forte instead of vi because of XYZ
> features that make things easier), etc.).

Get a sourceforge nym and mail me it and I will give you write access.
Or simply send me a patch via mail (diff -u, preferably). I personally
use emacs; keeping the indenting consistent is preferable but not
essential.

> > > But I must admit that single-file zipping would be a nicer way to do
> > > it.
>
> I am more in favour of tar.bz2 format. It would be measurably more compact for
> compressible data, with little speed penalty to speak of.

A massive speed penalty, most likely. ZIP has the advantage that a) the
codec is very fast, and b) it compresses files before archiving, so we
don't need to decompress the whole archive first. tar.bz2 would be
possible if we had a) a suitable *java* library, and b) caching of
decompressed data.

> > > As for the fear of the activelinks forcing 1 MB downloads: If you are
> > > a freesite author: Don't put your activelink in a 1 MB container; and
> > > don't place other freesite's activelinks on your site that do such. If
> > > you are a freesite visitor: avoid visiting those sites.
> >
> > I am still not convinced that a 1MB limit is a good thing. It may be
> > sensible to reduce this drastically.

?maxlogsize=18 limits files downloaded to fulfill a request to 256kB, in
fproxy.

--
Matthew J Toseland - [EMAIL PROTECTED]