On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 07:57:56AM -0500, Ed Tomlinson wrote:
> On October 28, 2003 11:53 pmperspectivehuck wrote:
> > So what should we do about this? I propose we should do two things. First
> > make sure that it starts taking network resources into account. Meaning
> > that in the NGrouting formula when calculating the predicted time, we need
> > to consider that given finite bandwidth (as listed in the config file)
> > initiating any new request will slow all the others currently processing
> > down. This additional time should be added to the request time of the
> > request we are making. It currently assumes that new requests never slow
> > things down, so making more requests, which are likely to fail, looks more
> > favorable than it really is.
>
> What sort of formula are/do you suggest for this?   I do think we need to take
> this effect into account more than we do.  I wonder if the ngr estimate is the
> right place though.  It estimates the time it will take to get data.  Bandwidth
> limits are on outgoing data.  A request is small and will not add much to
> outgoing data.  On the otherhand, when we decide to send data (trailers) to
> another node, this will slow down all the other transmitting trailers.  This
> _is_ something we probably should be taking into account.  It would probably
> be better, from and overall perspectve, to queue new trailers if we are using
> our bandwidth quota.   This way the current sends would not be slowed down

Anyone who implements this without first reading my sixty eight posts on
why it is a bad idea and explaining why I am wrong will be publicly
hanged :). The basic problem is that we do not generally control the speed
at which the data on a given trailer becomes available. Maybe it'd be
worthwhile for ubernodes sending data primarily from store, but that's
not a particularly worthwhile case to optimize IMHO. I don't see how we
can do much more than we do now - reject requests if we are over some
fraction of the bandwidth limit.

--
Matthew J Toseland - [EMAIL PROTECTED]