On November 07, 2003 10:29 pm, Zlatin Balevsky wrote:
>  >One radical solution:
>  >Remove the code to reject queries when the bandwidth limit is exceeded!
>

> which returns us in the state 5010-5018 where the node has accepted
> umpteen transfers, each going at snail speed.  Making that prevalent
> accross the network will be catastrophic.

I see that now, with just the probablistic rejection.

> Another possibility is to go even further back in 5007-5010 where the
> node would still accept everything but wouldn't round-robin to the
> senders which effectively meant the queries were served in a fifo queue.

What I have tried previously is to queue trailers (in PeerHandler) and not
start sending them until we have bandwidth.  To make this work I had to
setup and varient of decayingRunningAverage that used a 5-10 second
window to predict bandwidth.  Using the current bandwidth numbers, based
on a 1 minute window, lead to 'deadtime' where we did not sent at all...

With the above code it place I would normally have 8-15 transmitting
connections and a queue of 1-4M.  Which seems much more reasonable
given that I have use a 10K limit.

Ed