Ian Clarke wrote:

Martin Stone Davis wrote:

1. We probably should go with Toad's idea of dropping the HTL system in favor of a timeout-based system. This is a radical change, and needs to be thought-out a bit more before it is implemented. However, I would think we should be able to finish the design "on paper" in less than a week.

Perhaps I have just overlooked it - but is there a concise explanation of this idea and the rationale behind it?

Well, not exactly concise yet. But read the discussion that led up to it here:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.freenet.devel/8157

The basic idea here:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.freenet.devel/8161

More talk about the rationale here:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.freenet.devel/8173
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.freenet.devel/8181

Further development here:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.freenet.devel/8184

Some of the discussion took place on IRC, so I mentioned an important clarification in the last article.

2. We should implement ian's back-off scheme, Unobtanium routing, and a corrected estimate() formula.

What exactly is "unobtanium routing"?

Ubobtanium routing was first proposed by me as "Improving NGR" in:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.freenet.devel/7791

Toad coined the term "Unobtanium" in IRC. (That's the way to spell it, right Toad? It's the only one that googles.)

<snip>
Yes, I definitely want to hear Toad's ideas on this, but I think this
is looking more and more like the prudent course of action. I would
suggest that Toad focus on 0.5.3 while those currently tinkering with
NGR continue to do-so.

Sure, just as long his brain will be available sometimes to help those of us who are tinkering. :)

> Again, still all up for discussion.

-Martin