I've done the most recent work on the wininstaller.
freenet-modern.nsi is the current NSIS script which builds fine with the latest version of NSIS. freenet-new.nsi doesn't actually exist anymore. The current installer on the Freenet website should correctly identify both Java 1.4 and 1.5.
Feel free to ask if you need to know anything more.

Juiceman wrote:
It appears that the only working script in the directory is the
freenet-new.nsi script.  You will need to edit the build.bat file to
run that, or rename freenet-new.nsi to freenet.nsi